Short Curriculum Vitae
- General Information
- Appointments and Positions
- Higher Education and Scientific Degrees
- Selected Publications
- Other Academic Achievements and Activities
|Affiliation||Mathematics Institute and School of Engineering, University of Warwick|
|Address||University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK|
|Phone||+44 24 7615 0294|
|t.j.sullivan (at) warwick.ac.uk|
|Position||Assistant Professor in Predictive Modelling (permanent)|
Appointments and Positions
|2020–present||Mathematics Institute and School of Engineering, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Assistant Professor in Predictive Modelling (permanent)
|2015–2021||Zuse Institute Berlin (ZIB), Berlin, Germany
Research Group Leader for Uncertainty Quantification
|2015–2020||Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Junior Professor (W1) in Applied Mathematics, with Specialism in Risk and Uncertainty Quantification (Zwischenevaluierung 2018)
|2012–2015||Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Warwick Zeeman Lecturer (Assistant Professor)
|2013–2014||California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
Visiting Associate in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
|2012||California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
Senior Postdoctoral Scholar in Applied & Computational Mathematics and the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories
|2009–2012||California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
Postdoctoral Scholar in Applied & Computational Mathematics and the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories
Postdoctoral Advisors: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Ortiz, PSAAP Center director, and Prof. Dr. Houman Owhadi, PSAAP Uncertainty Quantification group leader
Higher Education and Scientific Degrees
|2005–2009||Ph.D. in Mathematics by Research, University of Warwick, UK
Doctoral Thesis: Analysis of Gradient Descents in Random Energies and Heat Baths
Advisor: Dr. Florian Theil. Examiners: Prof. Dr. Valery P. Smyshlyaev (University of Bath, UK) and Prof. Dr. Andrew M. Stuart (University of Warwick, UK)
|2000–2004||Master of Mathematics (Class I), University of Warwick, UK
Advisors: Dr. Luca Sbano, academic tutor, and Prof. Dr. Gero Friesecke (Technische Universität München), dissertation advisor
See also this list of academic publications.
- F. Schäfer, T. J. Sullivan, and H. Owhadi. “Compression, inversion, and approximate PCA of dense kernel matrices at near-linear computational complexity.” Multiscale Modeling & Simulation: A SIAM Interdisciplinary Journal 19(2):688–730, 2021.
doi: 10.1137 /19M129526X
- J. Cockayne, C. J. Oates, T. J. Sullivan, and M. Girolami. “Bayesian probabilistic numerical methods.” SIAM Review 61(4):756–789, 2019.
doi: 10.1137 /17M1139357
- H. C. Lie, T. J. Sullivan, and A. L. Teckentrup. “Random forward models and log-likelihoods in Bayesian inverse problems.” SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification 6(4):1600–1629, 2018.
doi: 10.1137 /18M1166523
- J. Cockayne, C. J. Oates, T. J. Sullivan, and M. Girolami. “Probabilistic numerical methods for PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse problems” in Proceedings of the 36th International Workshop on Bayesian Inference and Maximum Entropy Methods in Science and Engineering, ed. G. Verdoolaege. AIP Conference Proceedings 1853:060001-1–060001-8, 2017.
doi: 10.1063 /1.4985359
- T. J. Sullivan. Introduction to Uncertainty Quantification, volume 63 of Texts in Applied Mathematics. Springer, 2015. ISBN 978-3-319-23394-9 (hardcover), 978-3-319-23395-6 (e-book).
doi: 10.1007 /978 -3 -319 -23395 -6
- H. Owhadi, C. Scovel, and T. J. Sullivan. “On the brittleness of Bayesian inference.” SIAM Review 57(4):566–582, 2015.
doi: 10.1137 /130938633
- H. Owhadi, C. Scovel, and T. J. Sullivan. “Brittleness of Bayesian inference under finite information in a continuous world.” Electronic Journal of Statistics 9(1):1–79, 2015.
doi: 10.1214 /15 -EJS989
- T. J. Sullivan, M. McKerns, D. Meyer, F. Theil, H. Owhadi, and M. Ortiz. “Optimal uncertainty quantification for legacy data observations of Lipschitz functions.” ESAIM. Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis 47(6):1657–1689, 2013.
doi: 10.1051 /m2an /2013083
- H. Owhadi, C. Scovel, T. J. Sullivan, M. McKerns, and M. Ortiz. “Optimal Uncertainty Quantification.” SIAM Review 55(2):271–345, 2013.
doi: 10.1137 /10080782X
- M. M. McKerns, L. Strand, T. J. Sullivan, A. Fang, and M. A. G. Aivazis. “Building a Framework for Predictive Science” in Proceedings of the 10th Python in Science Conference (SciPy 2011), June 2011, ed. S. van der Walt and J. Millman. 67–78, 2011.
doi: 10.25080 /Majora -ebaa42b7 -00d
Other Academic Achievements and Activities
See also this list of conferences, talks, and other academic gatherings.
|2020–present||Member of the management team of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Modelling of Heterogeneous Systems at the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK|
|2019–present||Associate Editor, SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification|
|2018–2020||Associated Investigator in the Excellence Cluster “MATH+ The Berlin Mathematics Research Centre”|
|2018–2021||Co-chair with Prof. Dr. Claudia Schillings (Mannheim) of the GAMM Activity Group on Uncertainty Quantification|
|2017–2018||Co-leader with Prof. Dr. Chris. J. Oates (Newcastle) of SAMSI Working Group II Probabilistic Numerics|
|2016–present||Faculty of the Berlin Mathematical School|
|2015||University of Warwick Mathematics Institute Teaching Prize|
|2012–2015||Member of Science Faculty Undergraduate Studies Committee, Science Faculty and Mathematics Department First Year Boards of Examiners, and Mathematics Department Graduate Studies Committee at the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK|
|Misc.||Organiser or co-organiser of various scientific workshops, including Oberwolfach Workshop 1911 Uncertainty Quantification 2019, ProbNum 2018, the Third Annual Caltech Solid Mechanics Symposium 2012; and minisymposia at SIAM UQ20, SIAM UQ18, SIAM UQ16, and SIAM CSE13|